11.08.2004

Learning? In an education?

This might seem like an ordinary rant, but I think I actually might have something profound. Maybe? I dunno, if you don't want to read the rant, jsut skip down to the end. *shrug* it might be worth your while. Then again, it might not and you will have just wasted your time.

So I was doing well. And then something happened. I don't know what though. And now I have to double my efforts from the beginning of the year to fix it. I hate school. I hate work. I almost wish I wouldn't have gotten my stipend so I wouldn't feel obliged to go. Next semester is going to be hell. I think it would be OK if I didn't have to take the stupid fucking ECE classes. Do I look like an electrical engineer? Do I look like I know shit about computers? NO. And I don't really mind keeping it that way. Fuck 'em. I was looking at other schools BIOE programs, they make ours look like shit. Absolute shit. I mean we don't even take a fucking biology class for godsakes. And all we take is other engineering majors classes. We don't even have our own. You would think if they're going to make this program they would want it to succeed. Not be fucking retards about it and run a program thats starting from the ground up deeper into the ground. Honestly, I think like 1 person is truly working for the program instead of for their own personal interests and benefit. Franchek is a fake who got his way to the top by smiling and sucking up. Metcalfe is a good guy honestly, but he seems like he's got far too much on his plate to deal with this right now. I'm not too sure about the faculty they just brought in, they're obviously more faculty members than people fixing the program. Dr. Tran, it seems, is the only one really interested in the students; what we have to say, what we're going through, what seems like it will be the best option for us. She really seems like the only one who is open to not only faculty ideas, but student ideas as well. And I hold a lot of respect of her for this. Dr. Metcalfe as well, because it kind of seems as if he just got responsibilities pushed onto him by everyone at the start of the program. I dunno, I guess this is what being in a pilot program means: literally just making it up as you go. But one would think that they would plan just a little further ahead as to not make the students suffer quite so much at the very last minute. But I guess that learning isn't what an education is all about anymore. It's a business just like any other business, and for that I think we will dearly pay. Quite soon perhaps too. But that's just my opinion.

No comments: